Saturday, May 22, 2021

Five Minute Challenge

 With so much time spent at home and in my new studio space upstairs I am able to compartmentalise time. Perhaps more efficiently because I am not 'popping here and popping there' for a coffee, chat or visit.  So time is spent (usually) in a more orderly fashion. 

I've done over 365 daily quotes over the past year or so and use various techniques from watercolour to graphite. Pen and brush. Pencil crayon to fine drawing and have loved all the techniques I've rediscovered.

I often set myself 5 minute challenges and suggest it is a wonderful way to make goals for both new ideas in lettering, technique and creativity:

Materials: Good paper, selected pens nibs: round and fine. Colour. In this piece I used Faber Castell, Albrecht Durer watercolour pencils which give vibrant colour and can be wet to create a 'water-colour' mixing effect. 

With Pen and without
I used a pencil to outline the design. Added marks with the B series round nib. Drew the designs with a fine nib and then, once dry added coloured pencil marks. I then used a paintbrush to brighten the colours.

Set yourself time to complete this. Before you start, be aware of how your materials so that everything is at hand. Be focussed and as ever always remember to breathe. 

Create more of these exercises to do. You will be delighted by the creative moments you will enjoy.

No comments: