Thursday, June 27, 2013

Project Update

Although many 'girls' were absent today well done everyone for the great work you are doing. There is a marked improvement in writing skills and your 'layout' eyes are open and creating beautiful small word vignettes for the 'quote tins'.

I discovered the tins at Woolworths filled with soap. I thought they would make an ideal 'small quote container' and they smell good too.
 I had great fun completing my tin using coloured Canson paper and quotes found and stored for just such an occasion. I added ribbon and a small fountain pen for the recipients' own quotes and will have mine photocopied on board to fill tins with quotes for gifts.
Completed tin filled with quotations, extra paper and a small pen. I am thrilled with the results and wouldn't mind receiving one myself.

Homework:
I look forward to seeing students' completed work next week. That means concertina books as well.
Please practice writing and be prepared for another project next week.

On another tack altogether. I hardly ever (ever) have any open water or cups of tea or coffee around my work space be it computers or art work. I have been 'working hard' for the exhibition and had just cut completed pieces off the stretching board after discussing process with students.

I placed the pieces in front of me and was drinking a cup of coffee chatting to the group. I lifted the mug, only to have it slip and land neatly on my work. The result? Coffee everywhere. Of three pieces, two were salvaged. (Although one of my students gathered it out of the bin to use portion as a card - what next I wonder?).

Lesson learned? I do hope so. Luckily I'd stretched paper earlier so I took the opportunity to redo the one piece (which really does look better) and paint the other two with spilt coffee. Of course  there is not a cup or mug in sight and my painting water is in a container which is in a container. Talk about crying over spilt ink.

Was I furious and did I do a dance of absolute fury? No, what's the point? I simply removed the pieces, wiped the table and started my new projects. I truly think they look better than the originals and I will add images next week.

No comments: