Sunday, June 2, 2013

Penfriends Calligraphy - 30 years to celebrate

When I first started teaching I was (as we all are when we begin our new professions) enthusiastic and excited. I enjoyed every moment I spent with the little ones I taught. I was soon given the more challenging children and soon discovered that music and creativity was a great way to develop any confidence and enthusiasm which was well hidden.

This stood me in good stead for my own mothering and after my children had out-grown their dependence of me and thought their teacher's knew all and friend of mine and I decided we needed a hobby to move us from nappy changing whizz-kids to people with a little more than a degree in baby-burping. Kirsty and I scoured the Adult Education rosters and enrolled for courses on Chaucer and the Medieval culture, Bach and the Beetles and discovered that we did have brains after all and could converse at tedious dinner parties on more than the latest medication for German measles. Both of us decided that we now required 'creativity' in our lives and skipped cake icing for calligraphy which through the years has been the correct choice.

I discovered a passion for letters. Love the curve of a 'C' and the search for the perfect round 'O'. After a short course (dare I share this?) I was implored by a few friends to 'please teach us too' and so a class was organised and my first group consisted of five friends who sat around the dining room table. I taught with more enthusiasm than expertise, but my next teaching path was set. From these humble beginnings my teaching moved from dining room to studio which now has seen many students who share my love for letterform and who enjoy the challenges set in creative projects and the continued search for the perfect 'O'.

A single bracelet does not jingle - A-MM

Fortunately for all concerned my calligraphic expertise has been assisted by my concerted efforts to learn from the masters who include such luminaries as Dick Beasly, Denys Taipele, Stan Knight, Sheila Waters and her son Julian. Tim Botts, Denis Brown and many courses through the Roehampton College with Margaret Daubney can be included. I have also been fortunate to visit Maryland and Winchester, London and Cape Town to learn from calligraphers of great talent and expertise. Many of these people have stayed with me and I have some exquisite pieces created by them which grace my studio walls.

More recently Yves Laterme, Carl Rohrs and Massimo Pallermo have visited South Africa and left their particular mark on the calligraphers who so adeptly follow their progress. Ewan Clayton was a special visitor who spent hours talking calligraphy as did Beasly, who was so kind to our children.

Of course we have many talented South African calligraphers and Lin Kerr who now lives in England must be named as one, together with Heleen de Haas, Pam Jones and Paddy Balsdon are a few among many, many new and gifted calligraphers.

Thinking out of the Box

In 2013 I celebrate 30 years of teaching one of my passions: calligraphy. The many students who have sat around my studio tables, nibs poised, have enriched my life in so many ways. Thank you for trusting that we can always be creative and thank you for always allowing me to continue to search for that inimitable 'O'. The studio byline: 'Friendship through penmanship' could not ring more true.

One of my favorite quotations is: 'A single bracelet does not jingle'. This is true. Without the support of family, friends and students I would have little to celebrate this year.

So far 2013 has been packed with projects, highlights and of course, calligraphy. Next posting will be projects so far. You will be delighted and amazed.

The Intrepid Thursday morning group 

No comments: